Go Gu: Rebuilding season leaves skyscraper monument to 2017
If ever there was a case of kids getting it done, this is it.
Gu had one of the great seasons in school history.
— Tom O'Donnell
“2017 was supposed to be a rebuilding year,” said Darien boys’ golf coach Tom O’Donnell. “But our talented young players played better than expected sooner than expected and the result was one of the best regular seasons in history.”
Darien went 14-1.
Highlights included the lowest single regular season team score in history when Alex Gu (33), Blake Swiggett (33), and both Brendan Bumgardner (36) and Will Wilson (36) combined for a 6-under-par team score of 138 at the Tashua Knolls GC in Trumbull (par 36).
“Swiggett and tri-captain Wilson were known quantities entering the season,” O’Donnell said. “But the emergence of freshman Alex Gu and the improvement of senior Brendan Bumgardner, whose scoring average improved five shots over his nine hole average of last season, paved the way for one of the great DHS regular seasons ever.”
The Blue Wave captured the 2017 FCIAC East Division trophy.
Senior tri-captain Ryan McCarthy was selected by the league coaches to receive the 2017 FCIAC Coaches Award, based on integrity, leadership and service.
Gu's 73 lands him the Holahan
"Freshman Gu had one of the great seasons in school history as he finished with the best DHS regular season average ever (37.2) and the second best in the FCIAC during the regular season," O'Donnell said.
He went on to shoot 73 to win the Holahan Invitational at CCD that featured the best 30 players in the FCIAC.
“As a result he was named to the All-FCIAC team (top five golfers),” O’Donnell said. “But he had company, as sophomore Blake Swiggett (fourth best average in the FCIAC @ 38.77) also made the All-FCIAC team.
“Alex and Blake tied the school record for a 9-hole score when they each shot a 3-under-par 33 at Tashua Knolls GC in Trumbull.”
Bumgardner was named to the FCIAC All-East Team.
“I am very excited about the future possibilities for our team as we return seven of out top eight players including Gu and Swiggett who were among the top five in the league this season,” O’Donnell added. “They will be supported by a talented and driven group of young players who also want to leave their mark on the record books.”
• 14-1 regular season (3rd best regular season in DHS history
• Lowest 9 hole team score in
• DHS history: 138
• (-6 as a team)
• @ Tashua Knolls GC in Trumbull. Alex Gu -33 (three under par), Blake Swiggett - 33 (3 under par), Brendon Bumgardner - 36
• (even par) and Will Wilson - 36 (even par).
• Blake Swiggett & Alex Gu tied the school record for low individual 9 hole score: 33 (-3)
• Alex Gu: 37.20 average was best ever in my 28 years as coach and was the 2nd best scoring average in the FCIACC this year.
• Blake Swiggett: 38.77 average = 9th best in my 28 years and fourth best in the FCIAC this year.
• 2017 East Division Champs
• CHAPPA two man best ball tournament.
• Brendan Bumgardner and Will Wilson represented DHS and shot 71 to finish
• 5th out of 64 teams from around the state
• Alex Gu shot 73 and won the Holahan Invitational (top 30 FCIAC golfers) and became only the 5th DHS golfer to win it over the tournaments 50 year history.
• FCIAC Coaches Award (leadership, sportsmanship and integrity) went to DHS senior tri-captain Ryan McCarthy
• FCIACs: shot 314 = seeded 2nd, finished third behind Champion Greenwich and runner - up New Canaan. Alex Gu was low for DHS with a 75.
• State Championship: 317 = seeded fourth and finished 6th. Will Wilson’s was medalist for DHS with 73 which placed him fourth out of the 100 Division golfers playing
• Brendan Bumgardner: FCIAC All- East Division Team
• Alex Gu & Blake Swiggett: All-FCIAC (first time we had two of the top five FCIAC golfers in the same season