STAMFORD — For the second time in as many years, a convicted felon from Bridgeport was apprehended with a loaded firearm in Stamford, police said.

After serving two years in prison for the last time he was caught with a gun in Rosa Hartman Park on Stamford’s West Side, Bradley Bernard was charged Tuesday night with criminal possession of a revolver, criminal possession of a weapon and three counts of identity theft. The 25-year-old is being held in lieu of a $150,000 court-appearance bond.

Capt. Richard Conklin said officers in the Narcotics and Organized Crime unit were told a man with a gun was at 148 Custer St. on Tuesday night. Officers set up surveillance in the area and found a man fitting the description. They moved in and detained Bernard. When they searched him, they found a .38-caliber, five-shot Rossi revolver in his waistband.

There were four bullets in the gun along with one spent shell casing, Conklin said, and Bernard was also found with three credit cards with stolen bank information on them.

Bernard was arrested by Stamford police in January 2017 when he was sitting in Rosa Hartman Park after the park had closed. During that incident police found a loaded .9 mm semiautomatic pistol under the driver’s seat of his car.

Four months later he pleaded guilty to to a charge of criminal possession of a firearm and was sentenced to two years in prison.

Bernard was first prohibited from having a gun when he was convicted of first-degree reckless endangerment in 2011.

“This was a very good proactive arrest and a loaded handgun was taken off of a convicted felon, and nothing good could have come of that combination,” Conklin said.

Conklin said the tipster who told police about the pistol could be eligible for a Gun Stoppers reward of $1,000 for making the call to police. So far over the past three years the Gun Stoppers program has paid out over $34,000 in cash to reward those who helped police seize illegal firearms and arrest those carrying them.

jnickerson@stamfordadvocate.com