Nationally syndicated television host Steve Wilkos released a statement to The Darien Times thanking the Darien community for their support through his attorney, Eugene Riccio, Tuesday morning.

Wilkos, 53, a resident of Noroton Heights  in Darien, was arrested on Feb. 21 after turning himself at Darien Police headquarters.

He was charged with operating a motor vehicle under the influence and failure to drive right stemming from a one-vehicle accident on Jan. 21 in Noroton Heights.

Wilkos' statement:

I would like to express my deep appreciation to the residents of Darien for their tremendous help and support for me and my family in this difficult time. We moved to Darien nine years ago from Chicago. It is our home and where we intend to raise our children. Since my arrest, many Darien residents have reached out to me and members of my family to express their heartfelt support. I cannot adequately describe how grateful my family is for those genuine efforts of consolation to us.
I made a mistake that day by driving under the influence and am prepared to accept the legal consequences for my actions. However, since that time I have taken substantial measures to ensure that this will never happen again. Finally, I am particularly grateful that no other person was injured as a result of this incident. Thank you all for your kind and considerate thoughts.

Darien Police said on Sunday, Jan. 21, at approximately 4:20 p.m., an officer on patrol discovered a one-car motor vehicle accident on West Avenue in the area of Turnabout Lane. The lone occupant of the vehicle was identified as Steven Wilkos.  Due to Wilkos’ injuries and the severity of the accident, he was transported to Stamford Hospital for further evaluation and treatment.

As part of the investigation, officers secured a search warrant for Wilkos’s medical records which indicated that his blood alcohol content was .29% and over the legal limit the afternoon he crashed his vehicle.  A warrant for Wilkos’ arrest was then applied for and granted by  Judge Blawie of the Stamford Superior Court.

After learning that there was a warrant for his arrest, Wilkos turned himself in at Darien Police headquarters on Feb. 21.

Wilkos posted a court ordered $1,500 bond, was released. He is scheduled to appear in Stamford Superior Court on March 5 at 10 a.m.