Parent charged with interfering with investigation after police called for intoxicated teen

A Darien parent was charged with interfering with an investigation in the early hours of Sunday, May 12, after Darien Police say she allegedly picked up an intoxicated teen and her friends at a party and dropped the teen at home.

Darien Police responded to a home in Darien on Saturday night for the report of an extremely intoxicated 16-year-old girl who was allegedly unconscious. Post 53 transported the girl to the hospital for evaluation. Darien Police said the mother told them her daughter had been dropped off at home in that condition by the parent of her daughter's friend, Amanda Smith.

Darien Police contacted Smith, 45,  at her home to find out where the intoxicated girl had come from to make sure no other juveniles might be in need of medical care.

Smith allegedly told police she was unaware of where the four girls she picked up had been. Police said she initially wouldn't allow the police to question her daughter but ultimately allowed it. The girls at the residence were unwilling to tell police the location, they said.

When Smith was asked a second time where the girls had been picked up, she told officers it had been on Sunswyck Road but she refused to accompany the officers to the area to help determine the residence, police said.

The other juveniles at the home were turned over to their parents' custody, at which time another one of the parents gave the officers the location of the residence. There was no evidence of alcohol or intoxicated youth at the scene when officers arrived.

The parties at the residence explained that when the intoxicated girl became incapacitated, one of the people there contacted Smith. Police said they told them Smith responded to the residence, pulled into the driveway, assisted in carrying the unconscious teen to her vehicle, and left. The parties at the scene told police the attendees are all friends.

Darien Police determined that officers had been delayed almost an hour since initially contacting Smith due to her refusal to cooperate. Darien Police also said Smith had allegedly been deceptive in regards to the events of the evening and her participation in those events.

Smith was issued a misdemeanor summons for interfering with an investigation at approximately 1:10 a.m. She was released on a written promise to appear and is due in court on May 23. This incident is still under investigation.

Mark Sherman, Smith's Stamford-based attorney, adamantly denied that Smith was trying to conceal any information from police.

"As the reports will confirm, Amanda's priority was working with first responders to get this individual immediate medical attention," he said.

Sherman said he expects a quick and fair resolution in court.