A Norwalk woman was arrested after allegedly leaving the scene of an accident following a lunch during which she told police included drinking wine, Darien Police said.

On Wednesday, Dec. 26, at approximately 3 p.m., Darien 0fficers responded to the intersection of Post Road and Brookside Road for the report of a motor vehicle accident where an involved vehicle had left the scene (no injuries).

A license plate, provided by the other involved party, was broadcast to officers in Darien and surrounding jurisdictions. A Norwalk officer located and stopped the vehicle in their town on West Ave. near Maple Street. Darien Officers responded to that location to investigate.

The Norwalk officer who stopped the vehicle told the Darien officers he asked the operator if she had been involved in an accident. The operator’s response was that she may have been, police said. The Norwalk officer told Darien Police he immediately detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from the operator. The officers on scene observed damage to the front end of the suspect vehicle consistent with the accident that occurred in Darien.

When Darien officers spoke with the operator, later identified as Dephine Swierc, 58, of Norwalk, they said they immediately detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage. When officers asked Swierc to exit the vehicle for field sobriety testing, they noted she was unsteady on her feet. Swierc submitted to standardized field sobriety testing, which she failed to perform to standard. Based on the investigation, Swierc was placed under arrest  for operating under the influence of alcohol/drugs, failure to drive a safe distance, and evading responsibility of a motor vehicle accident. 

Swierc was transported to Darien Police headquarters where she was processed for the above charges. While being interviewed, Swierc admitted to drinking wine with lunch, Darien Police said. Swierc submitted to breathalyzer testing which revealed a blood alcohol content of .2274 at 4:28, and .2194 at 4:48 p.m. The legal blood alcohol limit in Connecticut is .08%.

She was released after posting a $250 bond and is due in Stamford court on Jan. 7, 2019.