Darien Human Services gives tips for weather emergencies
With a storm predicted for the end of the week, Darien Human Services offers the following tips in case of a power outage:
- Have at least one flashlight with extra batteries. Do not use candles. They are a fire hazard.
- Have at least one week’s worth of medications on hand.
- Have a battery-operated radio on hand.
- Buy a cell phone charger for your car.
- Keep important telephone numbers in a handy place.
- If you use oxygen, have extra portable oxygen tanks.
- Keep a supply of non-perishable food, drinks, and water on hand.
- Have a manual can opener available.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed as much as possible.
- Unplug sensitive electrical devices.
- Fill your car’s gas tank.
- Have extra cash on hand.
- Make plans to stay with family or friends if you are uncomfortable staying alone.
- Have a Go Bag ready with a change of clothes and personal necessities.
- Call 911 in case of an emergency.
- Visit darienct.gov and sign up for CODE RED to receive town-wide updates.
- Emergency Call List. Seniors and disabled residents may call Darien Human Services at (203) 656-7328 to add their names to the list. (Staff will make calls during and after a storm to make sure individuals are safe.)