DARIEN \u2014 A 21-year-old town resident has been charged in connection with the assault of an Uber driver that was caught on video last week, police said Wednesday. Shandaken Ford, 21, turned himself in Wednesday on charges of third-degree assault, criminal mischief and breach of peace. Ford is accused of assaulting an Uber driver last Friday night in Darien. In an interview with Hearst Connecticut Media, the Uber driver, Sijo George, said he picked up the 21-year-old and another man in downtown Stamford and drove them to Darien around 11 p.m. last Friday. A dash camera captured George being punched and kicked while the man, identified by police as Ford, repeatedly demanded the man\u2019s driver\u2019s license. It remains unclear why the man wanted George\u2019s license. Police said Ford ran away before they arrived and a K-9 was unable to locate him that night. Ford\u2019s criminal defense attorney, Mark Sherman, declined to discuss specifics of the case, but said his client is \u201cdeeply sorry and regretful for what happened that night.\u201d Sherman said his client plans to work with the court to "make this hard-working man whole and try to begin a healing process for everyone involved.\u201d Ford was released Wednesday on $5,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in state Superior Court in Stamford on Sept. 13. \u201cThis fact pattern and set of circumstances contained in this incident are highly distressing to me and certainly not indicative of reasonable conduct. I have been closely monitoring the published news stories as well as the social media postings\/online comments concerning this incident,\u201d Darien Police Chief Don Anderson said in a statement released Wednesday. \u201cTo be clear: this type of unprovoked behavior is certainly not in line with the beliefs and reasonable actions of virtually all Darien residents and visitors to our town and should not, and will not, be tolerated.\u201d In his statement, Anderson defended his department after he said it faced criticism because an arrest was not made sooner. Anderson explained how police were not immediately able to locate Ford last Friday night and were then required to submit an arrest warrant application. Anderson said the application was submitted on Monday and signed by a judge on Tuesday. \u201cI commend the officers involved for their professional and diligent work on this incident,\u201d he said. \u201cIt was properly, expeditiously and thoroughly investigated; an arrest warrant application was quickly generated and submitted for judicial review the first thing Monday morning following the incident.\u201d The Uber driver\u2019s wife, Maria George, said their family has received an outpouring of community support since the incident. She said Ford\u2019s friends even came to the restaurant her husband manages and apologized for the incident. George said the other passenger who was in the car with Ford was not involved in the assault. The incident was the second involving an Uber driver in the last month in Darien. Police said a New York man was arrested after he threatened to hurt that driver and used racial slurs on July 30.