Two Darien homes hit by fire
Serious damage was averted at two local homes where fires erupted last week.
At a Rings End Road home, a woman was awakened early last Friday by the smell of smoke outside her second-floor bedroom. She alerted her family and they left the home without injuries.
The fire, which was extinguished before causing serious damage, apparently was ignited after a Christmas night fire in the fireplace rekindled.
The house suffered smoke and water damage in the fireplace area, according to the report.
No one needed medical attention, police said.
Four days earlier, fire struck a vacant Sedgewick Avenue house.
Thick, dark smoke was coming from the rear of the structure shortly after 2 p.m. Dec. 22. All three local fire departments responded and extinguished the fire.
Damage was largely confined to the kitchen area, according to the report.