Hit and run driver due in court March 12

The hit and run took place in the area pictured above, on Hoyt Street near St. John's Cemetery, at about 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.
The hit and run took place in the area pictured above, on Hoyt Street near St. John's Cemetery, at about 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.Maggie Gordon

Police have confirmed the name of the man who came forward as the driver involved in Saturday's hit and run incident on Hoyt Street. Paul Plepis, 89, of Stamford, turned himself in on a warrant at 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to Darien Police Sgt. Jeremiah Marron.

Plepis was charged with evading responsibility, which is a felony when involving serious injuries. He was released on a promise to appear in Stamford Superior Court at 10 a.m. on Friday, March 12, Marron said.

The warrant was signed earlier Tuesday, one day after Plepis came forward to Darien police, claiming to be the driver of the Toyota Camry that witnesses said struck a Darien teenager on Saturday.

The victim, a 15-year-old Darien boy, was transported to Stamford Hospital and originally listed in critical condition with severe head injuries. The boy, who police are not naming, has since been released from the hospital and is recovering at home, police said.

Plepis came to the police after seeing an article in Sunday's paper about the investigation. At the time of the incident, Plepsis thought he hit a branch, Marron said.

"He thought he heard something, but he looked and he didn't see anything, and there was no blood on the car or the windshield, and he didn't think much of it," said Plepis's attorney, Mark Sherman.

The windshield of Plepis's silver Toyota Camry was cracked in the incident, which Plepis noticed upon returning home.

"He didn't figure it out until he read it in the news reports," Sherman said.

Plepis is a retired Stamford Public School teacher, and a World War II veteran.

"He dedicated his life to teaching and caring about kids," Sherman said.

Plepis is "incredibly remorseful" about the incident, and sent a note to the boy's family as soon as he found out what happened, according to Sherman.

"If you back this up and look at it at face value, it's really just that this man struck a pedestrian. Normally, it would have had a ticket issued, and it would have been done at the scene," Marron said. "But because of all these factors, it's been a little different."