Bridgeport man pleads guilty in Fairfield home invasion

View of Superior Court on Main Street from Broad Street in Bridgeport, Conn. on Monday, April 23, 2018.
View of Superior Court on Main Street from Broad Street in Bridgeport, Conn. on Monday, April 23, 2018.Cathy Zuraw/Hearst Connecticut Media

BRIDGEPORT — A Bridgeport man, accused of forcing his way into the home of a Fairfield woman and robbing her at knifepoint, is facing 11 years in prison after pleading guilty to the charges against him.

Guilherme Lima-DaSilva, 41, of Houston Street, pleaded guilty to home invasion, first-degree robbery, second-degree assault and third-degree assault as he was about to go to trial.

He was accused of holding a knife to a woman's throat in her Fairfield home in 2019 and robbing her of cash and jewelry before fleeing. 

“Do you essentially agree with the facts,” Superior Court Judge Kevin Russo asked Lima-DaSilva.

“Yes,” the defendant responded.

“We believe the essential elements have been established,” added Lima-DaSilva’s lawyer, Assistant Public Defender Richard Stannard III.

The judge then ordered Lima-DaSilva held pending sentencing on Feb. 17. Under the plea agreement, the judge said he will impose an 11-year prison term followed by a period of special parole.

Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Maura Coyne told the judge that she had been in contact with the 73-year-old victim who declined to come to court for the plea hearing.

Fairfield Police said on April 30, 2019, the victim was alone in her home when she saw Lima-DaSilva walking towards her front door.

Mistakenly believing Lima-DaSilva was a landscaper she had hired, police said the victim went outside to meet him and give him instructions on removing some weeds in the backyard. Then, police said Lima-DaSilva grabbed the woman and forced her back into her home, breaking the screen door.

Police said Lima-DaSilva ripped the woman’s cellphone from her hand, pushed her down on all fours and put a knife to her throat. He demanded cash and jewelry as she begged for her life. He fled with about $40 in cash and one of the gold hoop earrings the victim was wearing, police said, driving off in a black sedan.

Police spotted the car a short time later and pulled it over in a driveway on Congress Street. However, police said the car took off as officers approached it, driving through yards to get away.

Police said they pursued the car northbound on the Merritt Parkway at speeds up to 90 miles per hour. The car got off at the Easton Turnpike where Lima-DaSilva jumped out of the moving car and began running through yards. He was caught hiding under a deck on Lilalyn Drive, police said.

“I’m going through a divorce, I know I’m in trouble,” police said Lima-DaSilva told them.