Boys & Girls Clubs and Sexual Abuse: Augustine Williams

Photo of Viktoria Sundqvist
Augustine Williams

Augustine Williams

Department of Corrections

The following is a summary of one of many cases across the country compiled in a Hearst Connecticut Media investigation of sexual abuse connected in some way to local affiliates of Boys & Girls Club of America, their staff, volunteers, members and/or attendees. Boys & Girls Club of America said that it does not keep a public list of sexual abuse incidents connected to clubs. If you have a story to share, or have information related to this or other incidents, contact us here.

A former teen program director at the Wallingford Boys & Girls Club in Seattle abused his position of authority at the club to sexually abuse a young volunteer counselor between August and December 2011, according to court records.

Augustine Williams, now 35, pleaded guilty to first-degree sexual misconduct with a minor in 2013.

Database: Child sexual abuse at Boys & Girls Clubs

Williams was 28 at the time of the abuse; the victim was 16 and 17, according to the indictment filed in King County Superior Court.

Williams told the victim he was "falling in love with her," and they spent at least three nights together in area hotels, according to his indictment. He told police they had sexual intercourse between 10 and 20 times.

The age of consent is 16 in Washington State, but the law prohibits sexual relationships between someone younger than 18 and someone in a supervisory position that is five or more years older.

A counselor at the club reported the inappropriate conduct to child protective services and police, a spokesman for the Boys & Girls Clubs of King County told the Seattle Times in 2012. The spokesman also said the club was doing its own investigation into the case.

The Wallingford Boys & Girls Club did not respond to requests seeking comment.

Williams, who resigned from the club in the fall of 2011, was arrested in June 2012 and signed a felony plea deal in the case in March 2013. He was sentenced in June 2013 and served community supervision, Washington State's version of probation, until Sept. 30, 2014, according to a Department of Correction spokeswoman.

As part of his sentencing, he was prohibited from contacting the victim or her family for five years; prohibited from having unsupervised contact with minors (with some pre-approved exceptions); prohibited from having any other "dating relationships with minors;" and prohibited from working in a place that would put him in direct contact with minors, according to court records. He did not have to register as a sex offender.