Car stolen from driveway recovered

Bridgeport police recovered a 2011 Ford Expedition stolen from the driveway of a home on Rainbow Circle in Darien sometime overnight on May 11, according to Darien police Detective Mark Cappelli.

The victims reported the theft to police on May 12 and said they last saw the car when they left it in the driveway at 9 p.m. the night before, Cappelli said.

In the vehicle was a purse holding approximately $400 and some credit cards, which weren't used, Cappelli said.

On May 13, Bridgeport police notified Darien police they'd recovered the car on Palm Street in Bridgeport.

Clammer digs up stolen license plate

A commercial clammer turned in a stolen dealer's plate he dredged out of the bottom of Long Island Sound on May 13, according to Detective Mark Cappelli.

Police notified Stamford police about the find for follow-up, Cappelli said.

More Information

Fact box

Engine trouble leads to fire at high school

A 2008 Toyota Rav 4 and a 1994 Ford Bronco caught fire at 7:31 a.m. on May 14 at Darien High School while the driver of the Toyota tried to jump start the Bronco's engine, according to Detective Mark Cappelli.

A volunteer firefighter extinguished the fire before police arrived, but not before both vehicles sustained engine damage, Cappelli said.

Man's charges

include leaving scene

Sylvester Wallace, 40, of Bridgeport, was charged with evading responsibility, a misdemeanor, for leaving the scene of an accident early on the morning of May 15, according to Darien police Detective Mark Cappelli.

A female driver of a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country reported driving south on Middlesex Road when her SUV was rear-ended by a Subaru Tribeca, pushing the vehicle forward and striking a black Honda CRV, Cappelli said.

The driver was able to write down the license plate of the Tribeca and police contacted the owner, who told police her husband, Sylvester Wallace, had the car, Cappelli said.

Wallace came to the police department at 11:30 a.m. and admitted

to driving the car, being in the accident and leaving the scene, Cappelli said. Wallace was also charged with operating without a license, and cited for following too closely, according to Cappelli.

He was released

on a promise to

appear in court on

May 29, according to Cappelli.