Two explosions went off at the Boston Marathon today killing two and injuring 64 according to the Boston Globe, according to Boston police.

Tammy Hughes of Darien had just crossed the finish line when the first explosion went off.

"It was the scariest thing," Hughes said. "I was, like, 25 feet from the bomb."

She and the other racers who had finished alongside her were walking to get their race medals when the first explosion went off.

"I turned around and looked saw a big building of smoke and as I was looking at it, I saw the second bomb go off," Hughes said. She thinks the smoke went six stories into the air.

She finished the race at 2:47 p.m. and was unharmed in the explosions.

"The second explosion went off and I nearly jumped out of my skin," Hughes said. "I threw the shirt that was in my hand; I don't even know where it is now."

It was a scene of "mad chaos," Hughes said. After the second bomb went off, races and spectators ran in a "million different directions," as police, FBI and ambulances started to pour into the scene.

More Information

Fact box

"I couldn't get off Boylston Street fast enough," Hughes said.

People on the street were directed to the Westin Hotel, which is a block from the finish line, where a lockdown was put in place for 15 minutes.

Even at 4:19 p.m., as Hughes sat outside a family center waiting for her husband Daniel to retrieve their belongings, ambulances, police, camouflage SUVs and FBI were flying by.

Hughes said her husband was six-tenths of a mile from the finish line before the explosions went off.

Daniel told Hughes that there were people crying and hugging everywhere he went when he was trying to get their belongings.

"I felt like I was at an airport after an airplane had crashed," Daniel told Hughes.

The Boston Globe reported on Twitter at about 4:30 p.m. that there were reports of multiple undetonated explosive devices around Boston.

Bill Mongovan, one of the owners of the Runner's Roost in Darien, said his thoughts went to the explosion at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games.

"It doesn't really seem real," Mongovan said as he watched live television coverage inside the store, which is a popular place for Darien runners.

While the event is devastating, Mogovan said that it was "fortunate that this didn't happen when the mass group when through the finish line.";203-972-4407;@Meg_DarienNews