The Darien Department of Public Works will continue its bulk pickup program by appointment again this Spring. Pickup will be by appointment only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays beginning April 4, and ending on June 7, 2017. Each residence is restricted to a single pickup per calendar year. Items are limited to those too large for transport by a passenger car or SUV. Residents should have their debris placed at the curb by 7:00 A.M. on the day of their scheduled pickup. No pickups will be made at addresses on private streets (unless property has road frontage on public street and material is placed along public road frontage).
The following items will not be accepted: Hazardous waste, sealed containers or barrels; liquid wastes and paint; propane tanks, fire extinguishers or other pressure vessels; pathological or medical waste; logs, stumps, leaves, grass clippings, and brush; batteries (bring to transfer station; and drywall (gypsum board, sheetrock or wall board).
Wood items must be less than four feet long and six inches in diameter. Refrigerators, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners require a refrigerant sticker with an additional fee of $15.00 which may be paid at the Department of Public Works in the Town Hall (2 Renshaw Road) or at the scale house. If purchasing the refrigerant sticker at the scale house, please bring exact change. Please remove refrigerator doors for safety and affix sticker onto device.
Residents are urged to utilize the Town’s website and QAlert system to schedule pickup appointments at www.darienct.gov. Click on citizen service requests below the First Selectman’s picture on the left, follow prompts and fill in the blanks. Detailed instructions are:
- Enter town website (www.darienct.gov) and click on citizen service requests icon.
- Fill in requested information, especially your email address if available (you do not need an account, you can skip that step).
- If you are unable to enter information, you may have to change settings on Internet Explorer or use Google Chrome.
- Select e-mail (if you have email address) or phone.
- Click on “continue to request info” and enter street number and name.
- Fill in your address (again) under “where is the issue”
- Click in field titled “what type of issue” and selections will appear. Select “bulk pickup appointment”.
- Click on “continue with request” and enter preferred date for pickup and back up date in case preferred date is not possible, in space provided.
- Click on “submit request”.
Residents will get an email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your request within minutes. By theFriday preceding your preferred pickup date you‘ll receive a confirmation notice or another suggested pick up date. Residents without email access should call George Swift directly at 203-656-7374 and leave a voice mail message.