Inside this week’s Darien Times:
Here’s a look at what’s in this week’s Darien Times — the only newspaper and news Web site based in Darien — on newsstands now and in your mailbox by this afternoon.
• School starts Monday — what’s new in the district?
• Darien is once again a “Heartsafe” community
• Cablevision outage Tuesday causes many to lose cable television, internet
• Conservationists explore the sound, examine future fish ladder site
• Subway voyeur heads to trial, could face deportation
• Nearwater Lane teen accused of indecent exposure
• Post 53 fails to alert police of emergency drill
• Priceless Little League jersey returned anonymously to The Goose restaurant
• State’s tax free week continues through Saturday
• Darien family still coping, recovering from pediatric stroke, planning benefit
• Editorial: Back to school
• Letters: Shays’ loss a personal loss, and loss for the state; Should home buyers be informed of town’s emergency services?
• Wilder-Tamme: The fun never ends in Darien
• Ryan: Apathy rules in Connecticut, where it can pay to move around
• Body builder Linda Stephens wins first place in figure title
• Lange wins gold at rowing nationals
• Bowtell, Fitzpatrick adn Christenson get All American Diving certificates
• Library to hold blood drive, waive late fees for donations
• Geary Gallery exhibiting artist Peter Max
• Adult reading series ends with cookbook talk, raffle
• DCA hosts open house next month
• Historical society holding local art show, fundraiser
• Saturdays at Sotheby’s exhibits artist Margo Reynolds Packer
• Nissan Darien to hold small business expo
Arts & Leisure
• Dave Rich of Ridgefield has lots of screenwriting experience, but he¹s onto something new with his first novel, Caravan of Thieves, a thriller.
• New Canaan Restaurant Week starts Friday Aug. 24; it¹s preceded by the Taste of the Town Stroll on Thursday night.
• Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the original Jersey boys, will be at the Levitt Pavilion for a fund-raising concert on Friday.
• The Ridgefield Rec Center¹s annual Tag and Treasure Sale will be Saturday and Sunday, with early buying at 8 on Saturday ($5 admission)
• A new Disney film, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, has parenting and life lessons, says the Reel Dad.
• The Volkswagen Tiguan, a compact SUV, offers stellar handling and acomfortable ride with reasonably good gas mileage, says Steven Macoy. Space, however, is somewhat lacking compared with others in the class.
• Classifieds start on 7B
• The Darien Times is on Facebook — ‘like’ us and get news updates there. Visit Facebook.com/DarienTimes.
• More than 2,650 have signed up for Darien Times news bites and bulletins on Twitter. You can, too, by stopping by twitter.com/DarienTimes.
• To get The Darien Times delivered, click here.
• For newsstand locations, click here.