The Darien Department of Public Works will be continuing its bulk pick-up program by appointment again this spring. Pickup will be by appointment only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays beginning April 2 and ending on June 12. Each residence is restricted to a single pickup per calendar year. Pickup Items are limited to those too large for transport by a passenger car or SUV.
Residents should have their debris placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on the day of their scheduled pickup. No pickups will be made at addresses on private streets (unless property has road frontage on public street).
The following items will not be accepted:
• Hazardous waste.
• Sealed containers or barrels.
• Liquid wastes and paint
• Propane tanks, fire extinguishers or other pressure vessels
• Pathological or medical waste
• Logs, stumps, leaves, grass clippings, and brush
• batteries (bring to Transfer Station).
• Sheetrock (gypsum board or wall board)
Wood items must be less than 4 feet long and 6 inches in diameter. Refrigerators, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners require a refrigerant sticker with an additional fee of $15.00 which may be paid at the Department of Public Works in the Town Hall (2 Renshaw Road) or at the scale house. If purchasing at the refrigerant sticker at the scale house, please bring exact change.
Please remove refrigerator doors for safety and affix sticker onto device.
Residents are urged to utilize the Town’s website and alert system to schedule pickup appointments and click on citizen service requests below the first Selectman’s picture on the left, follow prompts and fill in the blanks. Detailed instructions are:
1. Enter town website (darienct.gov) and click on citizen service requests;
2. Fill in requested information, especially your email address if available;
3. Click on “click here to configure your notification preference”;
4. Select e-mail (if you have email address) or phone, then click “OK” to accept;
5. Click on “continue to request information” and enter street number and name;
6. Click pull down under “what type of issue”, select “Bulk Pickup Appointment”;
7. Click on “continue with request” and enter preferred date for pickup and back up date in case preferred date is not possible, in space provided;
8. Click on “submit request”.
Residents will an email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your request within minutes. By the Friday before the preferred pickup date an email will be sent with a confirmation notice or another suggested pick up date. Residents without email access should call George Swift directly at 203-656-7374 and leave a voice mail message.