Risky behaviors continue to be a concern in Darien, and a panel to discuss what you should know has been rescheduld to Monday, Nov. 19 at 7:30 at the Town Hall auditorium.
The 2011 survey of student resources and youth assets found that 54% of Darien High School seniors had used alcohol in the 30 days prior to the survey and 41% had used marijuana once or more during the year. YWCA Parent Awareness, Thriving Youth, Darien Domestic Abuse Partnership and SADD will present a panel discussion for on “Drinking, Drugs and Teen Relationships: What You Should Know.”
The panelists will provide advice to better communicate with teens. The experts will provide strategies to help parents prevent substance abuse and detect the warning signs of risk taking behavior. In addition, panelists will provide insights on controlling and abusive relationships. The panel includes:
· Barbara Greenberg, Ph.D., Author of Teenage as a Second Language
· Maud Purcell, Psychotherapist, Columnist, Founder, The Life Solution Center of Darien
· Jaime Roach Murray, MD, FAAP, Pediatrician
· Sgt. Allison Hudyma and DHS Resource Officer James Palmieri, Darien Police Department
· Moderator: Moira Rizzo, LMFT, Therapist and DHS Connections Counselor Youth asset team and SADD Representatives will also be recognized and available for parent questions.
YWCA Parent Awareness promotes the healthy, positive development of Darien youth and families. The board collaborates closely with parents, school administrators and community leaders to provide numerous programs each year on relevant, current topics for parents of children from birth through high school. Parent Awareness is also a member of Thriving Youth: Connected Community.
More info: ywcadariennorwalk.org; call 655-2535 or contact email@example.com.